Find out unique and better ways to create things with your Tiko.
Nice work!

Your original weight was 85 g (nut) and that seemed to work for you. But now you need 3x that weight? Did I read that right?
Putting the weight on the head did solve some problems related to calibration, but I was still having layer shift problems because it was too light to cancel the backlash in the gear boxes.
I did try to put the full weight on the head... that did not turn out well, arms bent so much could not calibrate right.
So I'm not sure if its the US wave or maybe the most recent update, but I've had decent success at eliminating layer shift by just cleaning/greasing the gears on the tracks with WD40. I didn't use all that much, but it was like night and day.

I did see your weight solution and tried it before I cleaned the track, but it didn't do much for me. Have you been able to compare your Tiko to those of us who got theirs later than you?
Have you been able to compare your Tiko to those of us who got theirs later than you?
No, do you mean compare the print quality? No. But anyone can check my latest print here.http://forum.tiko3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1083#p5633
wow that print is impressive. Im waiting on my order of foxsmart to come in. Then im going to Home Depot and picking up some dessicant, found out about filament being hygrosopic quickly(newbie 3d printer owner), as well as some lithium grease for the Tiko....andmy wah guitar pedal. Damn pedal is so squeaky my friends always laugh when they come see me perform and they can hear the rack and pinion more than my guitar! lol
I hope this isn't tangential (off-topic), but: I was researching replacing the arms just now and found this. They are spring loading horizontally between the two arms from each motor, close to the effector end and at the motor end, in order to reduce backlash. This is not my wheelhouse, though. What do you think?
I hope this isn't tangential (off-topic), but: I was researching replacing the arms just now and found this. They are spring loading horizontally between the two arms from each motor, close to the effector end and at the motor end, in order to reduce backlash. This is not my wheelhouse, though. What do you think?
Interesting site. I think someone here used rubber bands to do exactly just that.
The rostock V3 diy is interesting for $999. Maybe for my birthday. :D
This might be a stupid question, but why not just order replacement gearboxes since they come with the guides? At least then if they fit tighter on the rails or have lower backlash in the gearing, you know you just had a bad batch.

Also, is there any concern that adding weight will reduce the motor lifespan or cause strain on other components that wasn't planned for?
BY Bdtry
Here it is people, my fix for the motor gearbox backlash problem. when completed and installed, I observed that when holding the Tiko right side up and pushing up on the head, I could see the motors moving up slightly before I could feel the resistance of the rotors. Then when I release the head, everything moves down under the weight until all the slack of the gears is caught-up, meaning that ideal weight is pulling down and no more backlash in the gears. So now there is no delays when reversing direction in any of the motors. This along Teflon tape around the motor carriage clips and lithium grease on the guide tracks makes this printer as good as it can get.
Total weight added to each motors: 82 ~ 85 grams.
These picture are self explanatory. I use a hot melt glue gun, epoxy would do too.
Any chance you could upload that STL please?