Find out unique and better ways to create things with your Tiko.
After over 60hrs of printing various models, with various level of success, I have found the cause of all the printing problems related to layer shift and such. I had noticed the looseness of the motor mounts on the guide rails from the time I received the Tiko. I work with automatic assembly machines that use XYZ gantry and I know that anything loose will cause backlash and erratic positioning. The way the Tiko motor mounts are made, there is no way to eliminate the slack, you cannot adjust the position of the clamps. I decided to try using teflon tape (also known as plumber tape), wrapping the tape around each clamp until all the slack is gone. A bit of lithium grease keeps things moving smoothly. For this you need a pair of tweezers and xacto knife. With the power off, remove the motors, apply the tape and try the motor for tight fitting on the rail. There should be no slack. Keep adding tape until tight fit is attained. Apply grease when done. Be sure to reconnect everything correctly.

I have done this and am now printing a shaft for a reel holder I designed. The shaft is about 110mm long by 10mm dia. it is printed vertically. There is no layer shifting, no variation, nice even layers.

I also was able to use automatic leveling, because there is no looseness the automatic leveling works as it should.
Id hate to be that person but if you could provide photos of this fix that would be appreciated. I dont know which portion of the motor mount you are speaking of, but i also havent had my tiko very long. I started printing out of the box for a few prints and i didnt have any layer shifting until after the update. So im curious as to what the firmware update did because no matter how simple the model now, i will get layer shifting.
As soon as the printer is done printing this last piece I will take photos for sure. I wanted to prove the fix works before showing how to do it. It turns out that it's not really software related. The layer shifting is a mechanical problem. Any looseness in the mobile parts will impact the quality of the print.
I should have photos ready within the next hour and will post them in this thread.
The number of warp varies depending how loose each clip is. Some have 2 turns, some have as many as 6. The tape is very thin.
I'm still printing parts for my spool holder. Later in the week I will push this printer to the limit with extra complicated models.
The number of warp varies depending how loose each clip is. Some have 2 turns, some have as many as 6. The tape is very thin.
I'm still printing parts for my spool holder. Later in the week I will push this printer to the limit with extra complicated models.

is there a thread on here for disassembly of the tiko?